Rental Application Fee Disclosure Statement
As part of your rental application, a rental application fee may be collected to facilitate a screening and background check.
This Rental Application Fee Disclosure Statement (“Disclosure Statement”) outlines certain information related to your rent application fee.
You are notified of and acknowledge and agree to the following:
- Prior to paying the rental application fee, you have received a copy of the Disclosure Statement and all referenced exhibits.
- Your application will be judged based on the criteria attached as (the “Criteria”).
- We have disclosed the rental application fee to you, including in any advertisement and postings related to the available rental units and the actual rental application fee charged is consistent with those disclosures.
- In the event the rental unit that you applied for is not available, you agree that we may hold your application to apply towards other available units for no more than 30 days.
- The screening process for our rental units includes a review of the referenced Criteria, including as may be completed through a third party. The name and contact information for the screening agency used is: AppFolio, Inc 50 Castilian Dr. Santa Barbara, CA 93117 866-359-3630
- The rental application fee listed consists of the below charges. Applicant acknowledges that we may incur such costs which are reasonable and necessary to complete the screening and background check process.
- $15.00 – 1 Credit, 1 criminal, 1 eviction screening
- $15.00 – Each additional credit, criminal, eviction screening
- $30.00 – Landlord Verification (2 years) , Employment and income verification (6 months)
- $25.00 – Office time to add the applicant to software and review application/background/credit, income and employment.
- $10.00 – Denial notification letters and mailings.
Within thirty (30) days of receipt of a denial, the applicant may, if he or she believes the City Ordinance has been violated, file a written complaint with the City Manager or the City Manager’s Designee, addressed to : City Manager, City of Grand Rapids, 300 Monroe Ave NW # 1, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, Attention: Rental Application Fee Ordinance Complaint.
We are an equal opportunity housing provider.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETE WITH PROOF OF GROSS INCOME FOR 6 MONTHS (before taxes) AND PROOF OF RENTAL HISTORY BEFORE PROCESSING WILL BEGIN. IF SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ARE NOT RECEIVED WITHIN 72 HOURS YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE CANCELLED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
The following is our procedure in evaluating applicants.
- Compass will process incoming applications in the following order:
- All complete applications will be processed on a first come first processed basis.
- A rental home is removed from the market when we have an approved application with a security deposit paid with certified funds or online payment (subject to a clearing period). In the event of multiple approved applicants on the same unit, we will allow 24 hours per approved applicant in the order in which the complete applications were received.
- Trowbridge Flats; Hightree Townhomes; Sutter’s Mill Townhomes; Northridge Townhomes; Sutter’s Mill Townhomes; Sailor’s Cove Townhomes
We aim to process received applications within 3-5 business days. When an application is approved or disapproved we will contact you. Disapproved applications will be mailed an adverse action letter explaining why the application was denied. This letter will be mailed to the current address listed on the application.
DISCLOSURE OF AGENCY: Michigan law requires real estate licensees who are acting as agents of Landlords (Sellers) or Tenants (Buyers) of real property to advise the potential landlords or tenants with whom they work of the nature of their agency relationship. COMPASS PROPERTY MANAGEMENT IS A LANDLORD’S (OWNER’S) AGENT. A Landlord’s agent, under an agreement with the Landlord, acts solely on behalf of the Landlord. A Landlord can authorize a Landlord’s agent to work with subagents, tenant’s agents and/or transaction coordinators. A subagent of the Landlord is one who has agreed to work with the listing agent, and who, like the listing agent, acts solely on behalf of the Landlord. Landlord’s agents and their subagents will disclose to the Landlord known information about the tenant which may be used to the benefit of the Landlord.
(Revision: April 13, 2020)