Thank you for choosing Compass Property Management for your housing needs! We love our residents, and your satisfaction is our top priority. We’ve put together a page that offers some helpful information for you. If there is something else that you need, please feel free to call our office for help. Check the front page of your lease for your property leader’s contact information or call the front desk at 616-452-4200 for a transfer.
Rent is due on the 1st of every month. Check your lease agreement for grace period and late fees. Here are three options to help you get it in on time:
- You can pay online for free with a checking account! It’s fast, easy, and secure, so why wait? Pay Now
- You can send payments in the mail to Compass Property Management, 724 32nd Street SE, Wyoming, MI 49548 – Please put your full address on the check or money order.
- You can stop by our office location at 724 32nd Street SE, Wyoming, MI 49548 during office hours or drop it in the drop box outside of the office. Please put your full address on the check or money order.
Please note that we do not accept cash at our office location.
Maintenance Work Orders
Call or email your property leader with any requests. Report water leaks right away to avoid damage and high water bills. You can also request a work order online.
Utilities Phone Numbers
Some suggestions for the Greater Grand Rapids area. If you don’t see what you need, call us, we would be glad to help.
- Electric: Consumers Energy, 1-800-477-5050
- Gas: DTE Energy, 1-800-477-4747
- Water/Sewer: City of Grand Rapids, 616-456-3200
- Trash Removal: Republic 1-877-698-7274 or Bob’s Disposal 616-455-1155 or City of GR 616-456-3232
- Telephone: SBC Michigan (1-800-244-4444) or AT&T (1-800-222-0300)
- Cable: Comcast, 1-800-824-2000 or AT&T (1-800-222-0300) *Do you need a letter for the cable company to get service? Call your property leader.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is my rent due?
If you signed a Compass lease, your rent is due on the first. We add a late fee on the 5th of the month. Check your actual lease agreement for dates and charges.
Can you waive my late fees?
No. We treat our residents fairly and consistently. In accordance with Fair Housing, we can not waive fees for one resident and not the other.
I’m having a hard time paying my rent, can you help?
Things happen. People lose jobs, get sick, can’t work, have unexpected bills that hinder their ability to pay rent. Anyone would agree that your number one bill and priority is usually rent. Not paying rent can lead to eviction, and bad rental history. There are a lot of agencies that can help you in an emergency. Call the Department of Human Services first. They will help direct you to the agencies that currently have funding.
I’m moving, what do I need to do?
You must give your property leader a written 30 days notice to vacate. Leases automatically renew on a month to month basis. 30 days notice is required by law. Do not have your utilities shut off. Compass will transfer them into the owners name on the day you turn in keys. Keys must be turned in at our office. If you put them in the drop box, label them with your name and address. Verify with your property leader that the keys have been received. Give your property leader your forwarding address when keys are turned in.
How long does it take to get my security deposit back?
Michigan law allows 30 days for return of security deposit.
Will I get my deposit back?
If you fulfill your lease agreement, give proper notice, have a zero balance on rent and water and return the property back in the same condition as you received it at move in, you will get your deposit back. Please remove all personal items from the home, yard and garage. Clean the home to the same standard as when you moved in. Walls should be in good condition. Nail holes should be repaired and painted over. Carpet should be clean. Blinds should be in good repair. Smoke detectors should be up and in good working order. Light bulbs should be working. Yard should be mowed if you are responsible for lawn care. Please feel free to call your property leader with questions. We want you to get your deposit back. Thank you for taking the time to return your home back in good condition.
Should I have renter’s insurance?
Yes. The owner’s insurance covers the property, but not your personal belongings. If there is a leak, fire or flood, we will not be able to replace your personal items. If your refrigerator breaks, we can not reimburse you for food. Renter’s insurance will cover your belongings in the event that they are damaged, stolen or broken.
Will my rent be increased ever?
No, rental increases can be given until the initial lease term has expired. After the lease has expired, your landlord does have the right to increase your rent. We aim to be very reasonable with our increases, depending on market conditions and the owners requests. Things that may cause rent increases are higher city property taxes and increased utility bills such a
Do you have emergency maintenance?
Yes. Here are a few examples of an emergency:
- Gas Leak – please call DTE at 1-800-477-4747 before contacting Compass
- No heat – If your home is below 68°, and it is after office hours.
- Water Leak – That is causing damage – please try and locate the water valve and shut the water off immediately. If you have a roof leak and it is raining, poke a hole in the ceiling to direct water into a bucket of some sort.
- Doors and windows need to be secured due to broken lock/door jam/broken glass.
- The only toilet in your unit is plugged. Please try plunging with your complimentary plunger before calling.
- Electrical shortages that may cause a fire. If the power is out in your neighborhood call Consumers Energy after you flip your breakers!
If you have an emergency, the after-hours emergency number is 616-776-0614. If your emergency occurs during regular office hours, please try your property leader first.
How do I get a mailbox key?
More than likely, the box is owned by the United States Postal Service. You will need to bring your lease agreement to the local post office to get a key.